Elephant Trunk Hill

The Elephant Trunk Hill (象鼻山) is the most famous landmark of Guilin (桂林市). It lies at the confluence of the Li Jiang and the Yang Jiang. The prefecture level city of Guilin is located in the autonomous province Guangxi of the Zhuang people and is, among many other attractions, famous for its karst mountains.



On the way to Xiangbishan how the Elephant Trunk Hill is called by the locals, we saw many people who took their morning dip despite a water temperature of 8 ° C in the river. Elephant Trunk Hill is a clear example that even a city like Guilin must struggle with the forces of water during times of flooding.





Besieged by tourists the pretty members of minority peoples like to be photographed with the visitors.

According to legend an elephant helped the Emperor of Heaven with the conquest of the earth. The elephant got from the hard work sick and the Emperor left him back alone. The farmers nursed he elephant back to health. In gratitude, the elephant remained on earth and helped the farmers working in the fields. This made the emperor so furious that he threw a sword in the back of the elephant when drinking at the riverbank and the elephant turned into stone. The sword was transformed into the two-story Puxian pagoda. The hole between the trunk and the foot is called Water Moon Cave (Shui Yue Cave), because at clear full-moon it is illuminated by the moon. This has already inspired Lu You, one of the four great poets of the Song Dynasty, as well as the poet Fan Dacheng and Zhang Xiaoxiang.

Puxian pagoda on top of Elephant Trunk Hill
Puxian Pagoda

At a favourable water-level, visitors can make a tour with a bamboo raft through the hole.

On the southwestern foot of the mountain lies the Yunfeng Temple. Originally built in the Tang Dynasty, he was one of the four most famous temples in the city of Guilin. In 1897 he was re-built during the reign of Emperor Guangxu and renamed to Fuyin Temple. During the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom (1850-1864) and the Revolution led by Dr. Sun Yat-Sen (1911), he served as a gathering place for the comrades.

Yunfeng Temple also called Fuyin Temple in Guilin
Yunfeng Temple

Text and video: @copyright myVideoMedia