Missolonghi in western Greece

Missolonghi (Mesolongi - Μεσολόγγι) on the northern shore of the Gulf of Patras in western Greece was originally founded on three islands within a lagoon, which silted up over the centuries.





For more than two centuries, the town was under Venetian rule before the Ottomans took it over. At the outbreak of the Greek revolution of 1821 Missolonghi was headquarters of the rebels and could withstand a first siege.

 
Statue of Lord Byron in Missolonghi

In 1824, Lord Byron, the most famous representative of the Philhellenes, came as commander of the free Greek armed forces here. He was equipped with money and war material but shortly afterwards he died, presumably of malaria. Due to a betrayal, Missolonghi fell in 1825 at the attempt to break through the siege ring. The remaining inhabitants blew themselves up in the armory. Here, the base for the myth of the heroic fight for freedom was laid.

 
The Heroon - a memorial place for the fallenIn the Heroon, a memorial place for the fallen, monuments for the heroes, especially Lord Byron were erected.

Text, pictures and video: copyright@myVideoMedia