Patras the largest city on the Peloponnese - Greece


Patras is the third largest city in Greece and the largest city on the Peloponnese.



Patras is a major port and a center of trade and commerce. Even from a distance one can see the Rio–Antirrio bridge crossing the Gulf of Corinth. It connects the town of Rio near Patras on the Peloponnese with the mainland of Greece. The bridge is one of the longest cable-stayed bridges in the world. The five-span four-pylon cable-stayed has a length of 7,388 ft.

 

The bay is frequently run through by strong winds in this area. The bridge lies in a seismically active area with sandy subsoil. For the construction of the innovative bridge completely new design principles have been applied.

For some time Patras was under the influence of the Venetians, which still can be seen in the cityscape today. In 1820 it was destroyed by an earthquake in large parts. 1821 the Greek struggle for independence flared up in Patras. The Ottomans were forced back to the citadel. After the evacuation, the Ottomans managed to reconquer the city and destroyed it completely.
Greek Orthodox basilica Saint Andrew of Patras - Agios Andreas
In the east of the city near the harbor is the Greek Orthodox basilica of Saint Andrew - Agios Andreas. It is the largest church in Greece and one of the largest in Europe with place for 5,500 visitors. The central dome has a heigth of 164 ft.

Text, video and pictures: copyright@myVideoMedia