Evora - UNESCO World Heritage Site in Portugal



Evora, located in the heart of Portugal - the Alentejo region -  was already inhabited in the Neolithic period. Evora was extended during the colonization of Portugal by the Romans. A huge viaduct, the castle and the beautiful Diana Temple are surviving memorials of this period. Later the Moors enlarged the castle and built a mosque. 

Geraldo Geraldes the Fearless (Geraldo Sem Pavor) conquered Evora for King Afonso Henriques. The Moors were finally expelled with the support of the order of knights of the Avis. In 1166, the Avis made Évora their initial seat and named the order of knights Évora.  A still largely preserved wall had been built to protect the town. Since the 12th century Portugal's kings were crowned in Évora. The town blossomed out to a centre of the humanism.  In 1973 the University - founded in 1559 - was reopened after being closed in 1759. Évora had lost influence after the affiliation to Spain.

Other attractions include the Sé Cathedral, Palace of the Dukes of Cadaval and the Chapel of Bones (Capela dos Ossos). 


Since 1986 Évora belongs to the UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Video and text: copyright @myVideoMedia