Peripheral districts of Vienna - Austria

Watch the video

West of downtown is the Schoenbrunn Palace, Vienna's most frequented attraction. The name comes from the fountain in the midst of the baroque garden. Once chosen by Maria Theresa as a summer residence, it was used as imperial summer residence until the end of the Habsburg monarchy in 1918. The portico on a hill in front of the castle is called Gloriette.
Karlsplatz Vienna

The Karlsplatz - Charles' Square - is one of the main traffic hubs in Vienna. The two Art Nouveau pavilions marked once the entrances of the Viennese Stadtbahn (city rail). The square is dominated by the St. Charles Church. The reason for the planning of the church in 1713 was a vow of Emperor Charles VI during the plague epidemic. The fountain in front of the church is decorated with a sculpture by Henry Moore.

The parliament with the pillar of Pallas Athena represents the present-day Republic. As the goddess of wisdom and patron of the arts and sciences she may watch over Austria. Right next is the neo-Gothic town hall with the offices of the mayor and the council.
Votive Church Vienna

Adjacent to the City Hall is the University - the Alma Mater Rudolphina - named after its founder Duke Rudolf IV and opened in 1365. In the direct vicinity is the Votive Church. Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian, the later Kaiser of Mexico, has built the church in 1854 in the memory of a failed assassination of his brother Emperor Franz Joseph.

The twin buildings - in Renaissance style - of the Art- and the Museum of Natural History house the largest and most significant art and natural history collection in Austria. Between the two buildings, a huge monument with the statue of Maria Theresa was erected.
Belvedere Palace Vienna

Belvedere Palace is within walking distance to the southeast. The baroque palace complex, established on behalf of Prince Eugene by Lukas von Hildebrandt, houses the Austrian Gallery Belvedere today. Here the Austrian State Treaty was signed in 1955.

Following the eastern part of the ring is the city park. The statue of Johann Strauss (son) is one of the most photographed motifs in Austria.

In the third district of Vienna, one of the most important contemporary Austrian artists has left a testimony of his work. The Hundertwasser House stands out due to its round shape and its colorful appearance as well as his attachment to the surrounding nature.
Ferris Wheel in Viennes Prater


To the east of the city, right on the Danube is the Viennese Prater. Prater is the name for original floodplain the entertainment district opened in 1897, whose main attraction is the Ferris wheel.






@ Text, Pictures and Video: myVideoMedia